Saturday 11 July, 2015

Diet but No Crash Diet!

Slow and Steady Wins The Race


Losing weight is not only about abiding by the beauty code. For healthy living it is essential to have a controlled weight gain and loss. But what do I do when I cannot help but have a sweet tooth! Sugar and everything sweet is unfortunately rich in calories and fats. Although this does not deter me from consuming them, yet I realize I cannot continue this way and must look for a solution. What I can do to regulate my weight gain is to either reduce consumption or, better, to find an alternative! It indeed is possible to not compromise with our sweet-needs while also keeping a check on weight gain. Henceforth, I present my healthy substitute!

I switch to a mighty-goldy Honey Diet! In childhood whenever I caught cold, my mother would give me powder of mulethi (liquorice) mixed with honey. I remember the old glass bottle of Dabur honey that my grandfather always kept by his bedside. He used to take spoonful of honey twice in a day. Today’s market which is thronged by impure products, I still trust the undisputed quality of age-old Dabur Honey. Daily I drink a glass of milk with honey, turmeric powder and almond oil. I simply relish it!

Honey is not only a healthier option than sugar as it contains lesser calories than the latter but it is also a good source of vitamins, minerals and energy which supplement healthy living apart from helping in digestion of food. What more can I ask for! So, I happily reduce my consumption of sugar and start adding more of honey to my diet as a daily sweetener.

Another quality I love the most about honey is its flexibility as an ingredient. It can be used in a number of food items. In summers I lust over cool fruit milk shakes – especially of mangoes and bananas. The flexible honey blends wonderfully with these fluid delights boosting the preparation with nutrients and of course sweetness. During summers, sometimes we get blessed with spells of rains, and especially now when monsoon is already here, who would not love to couple the milk shakes with some mouth-watering snacks. And what better combination than milk-shake and honey chilly potato! Irresistible!

For a low-calorie yet a filling breakfast I prefer oatmeal or muesli with honey. It is delicious duo. I do not believe in crash dieting but for the sake of healthy living I vouch for a smart diet which neither compels me to eat less nor to skip meals. Our Indian tradition has a lot teach and use of natural honey in our diet is one of them.

So, why rush for a risky crash diet when you can go slow and steadily to attain a balanced diet with some tweaks here and other in our choice of ingredients instead without cutting down on consumption. Rely on honey, embrace a healthy living!


No comments:

Who Am I

My photo
A graduate in Journalism and a postgraduate in Political Science from Delhi University.

Select Readers!

You Ought To Check These Out!