Friday 10 April, 2015

I Look Up To the Beauty of Nature


Why is it that we need sad and poignant examples to keep ourselves positive about our own life? A person with a meager income would be discontent until he/she sees the living conditions of someone belonging to a lower rung of the society than himself or herself. Now he/she will thank god and be satisfied of their possessions. Why couldn’t this realization occur to her on her own...? Great works of art were mostly a product of a pained or an aggrieved artist; say a poet writing a timeless classical work after a severe heartbreak. This process has been going on for ages. I can quote many examples from my own life when I was able to look up in the middle of a bad day with the help of similar examples. Here I will talk about a day I managed to hold back my reigns and enjoy myself in an unexpected way amid hopeless times.

A calm day in my life begins with waking up on time, having a bath (well mostly), catching a metro provided I get some space to keep my feet in the heavy rush hour on my way to campus, and reaching my class non-hurriedly and without any hassles. One day all this went exactly how I did not want it to. I woke up late, missed bath, missed my metro by a second and then I had to wait for TEN minutes to catch the next one. Metro always acts up and has lags when I'm running late. Argh!


I reached the campus metro station, only a minute left for my lecture to begin. I wait for a bus which never comes. Just to add to my woes I had only a 500 Rupees note, so I reluctantly said goodbye to rikshaw. Only option left was to RUN! I reached my class twenty minutes late. 

In the beginning of this course, I had made only a handful of friends. None of them stayed for lunch due to personal arrangements ranging from 'my mother is waiting for me at home', 'I've to go feed my dog as he's home alone', 'I've to go out with my school/college friends'. My mother packed lunch for me, I liked to go to library after classes and returned home not before evening.

It was lunch time and I was all by myself. This is something I dislike. To have to eat alone. I ate remembering my graduation days, when I had a huge group and how much we used to have, my friends Asmi, Anisha and I loved the momos served in our college canteen. Lunch is when we catch up with our friends to talk about things other than studies and of course to share meals. 

But this day I was by myself. I looked at the people around making merry, chatting up, laughing together... I was al fresco. And I was low spirited. Suddenly I saw a squirrel two inches away from where I sat. It looked at me earnestly. Erm it looked at the piece of Roti in my hand. I was still and looked at it with suspicion. It looked back. I cast the piece of roti on the ground as far as I could. I admit I was apprehensive of what it would. Do squirrels bite? I know monkeys get rebellious at the sight of food. Squirrels are smaller but very agile and quick in their moves. It ran away and I felt it's gone for good. 

After a moment as I was about to have the next piece the squirrel returned. This time with a friend. I resisted to give another piece. From out of the blue one smaller squirrel came from above and jumped over my knee and then touched the ground. Never in my life had I seen squirrels this audacious and daring... I was shocked. To my own surprise I was laughing now. It was hilarious. I shared more pieces of roti along with some Dal. More and more of their kind started showing up from trees, holes, and digged up earth. It was heartwarming to have their company.


Only in North Campus can you witness the harmony and closeness among animals and birds. Here cats give birth in the library's premises while the kittens roam around the bookshelves and the reading rooms. I Walked towards the library and on my way saw a peacock on a stroll! Another amazing sight was that of pigeons, a parrot and squirrels eating together! 


I was glad to have all of them with me. I had fun being alone. It was not as bad as I thought. Seeing at butterflies filled me with joy. The beauty of nature made me forget all my petty problems. I started noticing things that I tended to refuse... Butterflies have proved to be an instant trigger of optimism for me; their fluttering movements please me, relax me. I can then see my issues and their solutions clearly. Hence, moving away from sad instances we can look up to the effervescent nature to draw inspirations and to lighten our heart and mind.


#lookup

No comments:

Who Am I

My photo
A graduate in Journalism and a postgraduate in Political Science from Delhi University.

Select Readers!

You Ought To Check These Out!