Thursday 24 May, 2012

Fat Consumption: An Act of Kindness

Fat equivalent to 20g found in a choco-chip cookies' packet weighing 83gm.

My sister goes all the way to a retail store in a different colony which is about 1.5km away from our dwelling. She takes a rikshaw to go this far for bringing these irresistible food items due to their unavailability in our nearby market complex.

As soon as she gets back home she hides all of it in the depths of our kitchen’s topmost cabinets and sometimes if the stuff is way too mouth-watering and nearly lip smacking, which in consequence puts it at a higher risk of getting filched and consumed by other contenders of the house; then she employs her cupboard safe to bury those delectable victuals (victual is synonymous with foodstuff; yes, dictionary-reading is one of my other geeky pastimes).

Despite putting in so much research and hard work in zeroing in on the best hideout for her edible treasures she always fails awfully. She wonders later for days how I always get to the stuff in time! How do I always know when the item shall perish off and also about its storage conditions…

I have a secret long kept to myself. But no more.

Hardly is she aware of my sniffer-nose which happens to be an acquired quality (remember the ‘inherited and acquired qualities’ in Heredity and Evolution chapters) of mine from my pet cocker spaniel doggie – Jasper!


 
I sniff all the way to the whereabouts of her chocolate chip cookies, raw Bournvita, the potato wafers, the toffees, soup packets, instant noodles etc.

I like to help myself leaving behind all the guilt that I earlier used to have – “I’m selfish”, “oh it belongs to her”, “I should not give in to temptation and break the bond of sisterhood I was lashed with since birth.”, “I’m being heartless and this is an act of stealth and theft and treachery and what not!”,”I do not deserve to reap the benefits of her drudgery”...

It took me one long excursion of introspecting myself to realize and look at this scene from a completely different point of view. 
I am not a sinner and I am a good doer! I’m the hero (or heroine for the feminists out there)!

All this while I was only simply doing her a favour!

For her sake I have been putting MY health and MY waistline at stake by willingly taking in all that fat she allocates for herself.

Unknowingly and rather naively I have been helping her whilst what she does on finding out my deeds is to take my case and leading me to the hands of mother.

But god knows I always had the right intention.

Unfortunately she hasn’t yet realized this. 
Hope she gets a perspective soon. Amen.


Tags: Humour, farce, hypothesis, ridicule
Photo Credits: clipartof.com + dog Casper

7 comments:

Sonia Hukil said...

Haha, I enjoyed it especially the ending. You're wicked :P You're vocabulary is inconceivably awe-inspiring. :D

Anonymous said...

Aren't you the fallen angel who consumes eatables to ensure that your sister's well being. Very noble indeed.

Lava said...

I am a only child and I eat everything. Whose angel am I? :D

Anushri Saxena said...

Sonia Hukil: Thanks for the 'wicked' compliments! :P

The Nascent Observer: Yes, I guess the narrator is a fallen angel indeed. :D

Lava Girl: You are your own angel then! :D :D

Ayan said...

I particularly liked the subtle humor in the narration. Typically yours.

asmi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
asmi said...

A light humorous article, perfect for a sunday brunch ! :D 'like

Who Am I

My photo
A graduate in Journalism and a postgraduate in Political Science from Delhi University.

Select Readers!

You Ought To Check These Out!